Our Lady of Pompeii Catholic Church
In the 1920's a wood framed church was erected on the site next to the present church. With the advent of the Spanish Dominicans, a priest was commissioned to take up residence in Tickfaw. Our Lady of Pompeii, Madonna Di Pompei, remained an autonomous parish for a considerable period of time. During World War II, due to personnel and financial difficulties, Tickfaw again became a mission of Independence.
One of the residing priests in Tickfaw was Father Peregrine de la Fuente, who later became bishop in the Philippines. With the conclusion of the Civil War in Spain in the 1930's the religious situation in Spain had radically changed and the Spanish Dominicans left Louisiana and the United States. The American Dominicans then replaced the Spanish Dominicans in Tangipahoa. Father Francis H. Scola, O.P. was the first American and last resident priest to serve in Tickfaw. Father Scola's successor was Father Daniel M. Della Penta. He served as pastor of both Independence and Tickfaw for roughly twenty years. Father Joseph Bernier, O.P. completed the present church in 1962.
Our Lady of Pompeii was canonically re-established as a parish April 12, 1973. The cornerstone was laid on August 9, 1974, and was dedicated by Bishop Joseph Vincent Sullivan. The boundaries of the parish run north to the Black Cat Road, south to the Natalbany Road, east to the St. Tammany parish line and west to the Livingston parish line.
Our Lady of Pompeii owns and maintains the Tickfaw Catholic Cemetery located one quarter mile from the church. The Tickfaw Catholic Cemetery was established in the early 1900's on land donated by Sam Perise who also donated one acre of the land that Our Lady of Pompeii sits on today.